A new child or teenager who wants more space? A telework project? A desire for a relaxing room? It’s time to push the walls or think about laying out unused spaces in your home. To cover the estimated budget of these expansion works, the work loan is a financing solution to consider.
House extension: possibilities and constraints
Choosing to add a room to a house can take many forms:
- the dwelling has convertible attic space, which simplifies the operation;
- either extend the living space by extending the basic structure.
It is then possible to create a veranda, very bright, or a room adjacent to the house to install a room or an office. Depending on the configuration of the housing and the available land, an elevation can create a new floor. Whatever the solution considered, it is essential to find out about the Local Urban Plan (PLU) in force in the municipality of residence.
This contains details in terms of extension and architecture:
- for an extension up to 40 m2, a simple prior declaration of work in the town hall will suffice;
- Beyond, it is essential to file a building permit.
A rule that changes if the total surface of the house exceeds 170 m2, extension included. The limit is then reduced from 40 m2 to 20 m2. Limit beyond which recourse to an architect will be obligatory.
What cost for a house extension?
The cost of a home extension varies according to the solution and especially the materials envisaged:
- for the creation of a veranda, so with the use of steel and glass, a budget of around € 2,000 / m2 is needed;
- an expansion with the construction of a new breeze block room is estimated at around € 1,500 / m2;
- the wood solution remains the least expensive with a cost per m2 of € 1,000;
- the elevation, if it seems complicated to achieve, is not the most expensive. The average price, without accommodation, is around € 1,400 / m2.
Among the precautions to be aware of, it is good to know that it is better to maintain the staircase of a house in its place of origin. Its deletion or removal would raise the bill by an additional € 5,000 minimum. Another financial consequence to the extension of a house is the revaluation of the property tax and the housing tax with the new living space.
Finance expansion with work credit
If the budget does not exceed 75 000 €, the loan for the extension of the principal residence can be contracted with a lender without going through the bank. Once the solution has been chosen and the quotes established, it is then possible to make an online simulation for the home expansion credit in order to prepare its budget. The tool will specify according to your capacity of debt and the amount to borrow the duration of the credit consumption and the monthly payments to be envisaged.